Monday, January 23, 2012

Mmm Chili!

I hated chili until 2 years ago. Really I hated all beans and because chili is essentially a tomato-bean soup, I by extension hated chili. When mom would make it should would leave out a handful of spaghetti noodles (yes she puts spaghetti in her chili) for me to eat with some butter.

On the day of my sister's sixteenth birthday (I know it was some birthday, sixteenth might be wrong...) I tried some refried beans and to my astonishment I didn't absolutely hate them. I wasn't going to go as far as to try some black beans but it was a start.

Slowly over the years I started putting beans in my burrito at Qdoba and then eating them in salads and now I actually like beans (minus pinto beans. I'm still working on that one) and have developed a love for the food I so adamantly despised, chili.

This is my absolute favorite recipe for chili. My sister gave it to me last year and I frequently make a whole crock pot full and eat on it for a week. So delicious and so darn easy!


1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can corn (make sure its not creamed! Everyone in my family has done this at least once!)
2 cans chili beans (I do one mild and one medium)
1/2 packet taco seasoning
1 T chili powder
1 t cumin
1 lb lean ground beaf
1 yellow onion diced

Open all cans and dump into crock pot (drain corn first).
Add spices


Brown  onion in a sauce pan before adding it to the crock pot
Brown meat. Add to crock pot.
Simmer on high for two hours or so before cutting back to low.
Don't be tempted to just eat it after an hour. I know it smells good and it is very tempting but I promise the longer it simmers the better it is! I give you permission to take tastes along the way but no more than that! 

See! Look how much it changes!

0 hours into cooking


1 hour into cooking


 4 hours into cooking


NOW its ready to eat. So amazingly yummy! And this coming from a girl who hated chili until crazy recently! I would definitely suggest the frito, sour cream, cheese combo.


I resisted the temptation to lick the bowl... but it was hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment