Monday, January 9, 2012

A Monday Book Review

For some reason I have gotten on a kick reading books about life during world war II. One of my all time favorite books is the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which is a series of letters to and from a journalist who is learning about life on the Island of Guernsey during the German occupation there. The next book I meant to read is A Paris Wife, which is about Hemingway's wife. Accidentally I picked up "The soldier's wife," which to my surprise was also set on the island of Guernsey during the German occupation. How weird!


The book I just finished this morning is called "Sarah's Key." My boyfriend's aunt and I were talking about books when I was visiting and it was one she had suggested. To my surprise, when I picked it up I found it was once again set during World War II! This time I escaped from Guernsey and instead was located in France. The book flips between 2002 and 1942 following two characters, a journalist and a young Jewish girl who gets taken to a holding camp in France. Usually when I read a book that flips back and forth I find that I really like one of the characters more than the other or one of the story lines more than the other. I tend to read quickly through the sections I don't like as much so I can find out what happens in the parts I like more. Not the case in this book. I couldn't put the book down on the parts about Sarah, the young Jewish girl, because I wanted to know if she would escape, survive, find her brother and I couldn't put the book down on the parts about Julia, the journalist, because I wanted to know if she would stay with her husband, if she would find out what happened to her father in law 60 years before, if she would share the truth with her family.

I'm not a night person but I was up until 1:30 last night reading. Very good historical fiction account of the French roundup. Definitely one I would suggest reading (along with The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and The Soldier's Wife)

No comments:

Post a Comment