Monday, December 12, 2011

Rockets, buttons, and a whole lot of laundry

Phew! What a day! I spent my morning teaching about rockets in a middle school. Now normally a day in a middle school is pretty tiring, but today was one of those days where it was just plain exhausting.

I've been packing to go home for the break since coming home from school so I didn't have time to be crafty today. So instead, here is a little known fact (at least I didn't know it).

Do you know why women's buttons are on the left and men's are on the right?

Photo by Egilshay/stock.xchng
I found out today that it's because when buttons were originally invented they were expensive to make and only the rich had them. Seamstresses put the buttons on the right because most people are right handed so it was easier to push the button through a hole on the left. However, the rich women who were able to afford buttons were usually dressed by maids so they put the buttons on the left so that they were on the maid's right. How cool is that?!

Right, so now you know and you can go impress all of your friends with how smart you are. As for me, I've got to get back to packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment